You know what makes me grumpy? All the Grumpy Old Men who appeared on the BBC TV series were younger than me, that's what makes me grumpy. Mutter, mutter....

The Grumpy Old Artist

The Grumpy Old Artist
Would YOU pose for this man???

Exhibition Poster

Exhibition Poster
Catterline Event, 2011

Oil Painting by Jim Tait

Oil Painting by Jim Tait
Helford River, Cornwall

Oil Painting by Jim Tait

Oil Painting by Jim Tait
Full-riggers "Georg Stage" and "Danmark"

Other Recent Works

Other Recent Works
Fordyce Castle and Village

Hay's Dock, Lerwick

Shetland-model Boats at Burravoe, Yell

Tall Ships Seascape

The Tour Boat "Dunter III", with Gannets, off Noss

The "Karen Ann II" entering Fraserburgh harbour

Summer Evening, Boyndie Bay

1930s Lerwick Harbour

Johnshaven Harbour

"Seabourn Legend"

Greeting Cards!

Greeting Cards!
Now Available in Packs of Five or in Assorted Sets of Four

Sunday 9 January 2011

APPOINTMENTS AND ARTWORK

Last week, things got gradually back to normal after the festive season. Even the weather seemed to return to its damp dull usual for a Shetland winter, at least until Thursday, when the snow returned to plague us once more.

My work is not greatly affected by either festivities or weather, except in so far as light is concerned. Progress has been slow and steady on both my commissions, and I hope to have at least one of these ready to illustrate next week's contribution to this blog. I even got a little done on the Gourdon Harbour stock work which, however, is still a long way from completion.

I attended an appointment with the optician on Wednesday afternoon. My eyesight is very important to me, as you may well imagine, and I was alarmed, one evening just before Christmas, when my eyes refused to refocus straight away when I averted them from the Radio Times crossword, on which I had been concentrating, to a more distant object. This gave me a fright, and precipitated the making of the appointment. Meanwhile, I mentioned the problem to my sister Thelma, who is a church organist. Apparently she suffers the same condition, which can make things awkward when she has to play off sheet music and keep an eye on other things happening around her at the same time. The optician was reassuring, giving me a good eye test and finding nothing wrong with my deadlights that can't be attributable to the march of time.

My next appointment will have to be with a hairdresser, but I am reluctant to have my scalp denuded in this cold weather. Many of my fellow-Shetlanders are currently cultivating fine sets of long hair and whiskers for the forthcoming fire festivals. However, I'm not involved in any of them so, devoid of that excuse for hirsuteness, I'll just have to bite the cliched bullet, get shorn and buy a beanie! Yuk! Have a nice week!

No comments: