You know what makes me grumpy? All the Grumpy Old Men who appeared on the BBC TV series were younger than me, that's what makes me grumpy. Mutter, mutter....

The Grumpy Old Artist

The Grumpy Old Artist
Would YOU pose for this man???

Exhibition Poster

Exhibition Poster
Catterline Event, 2011

Oil Painting by Jim Tait

Oil Painting by Jim Tait
Helford River, Cornwall

Oil Painting by Jim Tait

Oil Painting by Jim Tait
Full-riggers "Georg Stage" and "Danmark"

Other Recent Works

Other Recent Works
Fordyce Castle and Village

Hay's Dock, Lerwick

Shetland-model Boats at Burravoe, Yell

Tall Ships Seascape

The Tour Boat "Dunter III", with Gannets, off Noss

The "Karen Ann II" entering Fraserburgh harbour

Summer Evening, Boyndie Bay

1930s Lerwick Harbour

Johnshaven Harbour

"Seabourn Legend"

Greeting Cards!

Greeting Cards!
Now Available in Packs of Five or in Assorted Sets of Four

Sunday 19 April 2009

AUNTIE'S LUMBAGO, HOLIDAY SNAPS AND OTHER COMPLAINTS

I stopped issuing weekly progress reports on my artistic endeavours some time ago. Perhaps I should have continued with these, as they were a chronicle of my artwork, but they were as monotonous to write as they must have been boring to read, so I have sacrificed them to what I hope is a better reading experience for you, the patient blog follower. It must have been a bit like looking at a family member's recent holiday snaps, or hearing the latest bulletin on Auntie's medical condition.

While walking around town, I used to meet a certain lady (sadly no longer with us!) who would give me a daily account of the progression of her West Highland terrier's bowel disorder. As she was thus regaling me, we would sadly watch the poor little dog, its eyes watering and body stiffened in exertion, as it tried to rid itself of whatever was obstructing its system.

Perhaps I exaggerate, in comparing my artistic effusions with the motions of a small dog, but there are people who have expressed an opinion that they differ little in substance, though maybe in greater quantity and fewer words. And, in this hard-won democracy, who am I to disagree?

The Duff House exhibition, scheduled to hang in late June, is progressing well. I have thirteen works completed for it, another three which I hope to have finished within a week, and another at an earlier stage of completion. The final eighteenth work is going to be a magnum opus, of a harbour scene with a large number of fishing boats tied up or at anchor at varying distances from the viewers standpoint. It will take a lot of time and painstaking work, but I am hoping to have it ready for the Banffshire event. I then have another larger, and equally complicated, harbour scene to do for a friend and regular client, a yachtsman from Sweden.

Money is still trickling in, in sufficient quantity to ensure that, thus far, I am weathering the financial recession. I am grateful for the financial help I am receiving from Shetland Islands Council's Economic Development Unit for fares and framing. The Duff House show will determine whether I have a future as a self-employed marine artist or not - it really is as simple as that.

I'll put up the latest completed artworks on the "gallery" part of this blog. Look out for next month's thrilling instalment - and watch where you put your feet!

No comments: