You know what makes me grumpy? All the Grumpy Old Men who appeared on the BBC TV series were younger than me, that's what makes me grumpy. Mutter, mutter....

The Grumpy Old Artist

The Grumpy Old Artist
Would YOU pose for this man???

Exhibition Poster

Exhibition Poster
Catterline Event, 2011

Oil Painting by Jim Tait

Oil Painting by Jim Tait
Helford River, Cornwall

Oil Painting by Jim Tait

Oil Painting by Jim Tait
Full-riggers "Georg Stage" and "Danmark"

Other Recent Works

Other Recent Works
Fordyce Castle and Village

Hay's Dock, Lerwick

Shetland-model Boats at Burravoe, Yell

Tall Ships Seascape

The Tour Boat "Dunter III", with Gannets, off Noss

The "Karen Ann II" entering Fraserburgh harbour

Summer Evening, Boyndie Bay

1930s Lerwick Harbour

Johnshaven Harbour

"Seabourn Legend"

Greeting Cards!

Greeting Cards!
Now Available in Packs of Five or in Assorted Sets of Four

Wednesday 14 January 2009

LOSING IT

Things started to go wrong at about 5pm last Friday. After spending a pleasant day with my mother at Whiteness, doing things around the house and enjoying some quality time with her, I returned to my flat-cum-studio in Lerwick and, after checking the post and phone messages, and receiving and paying for some new giclees from my graphics supplier, I decided to log on to have a look at my emails, and delete those which were offering me physical impossibilities and replica watches. But my connection was dead. I kept getting a message about a cable having become unplugged, so I checked all the sockets and cables, which all seemed fine. I thought my ethernet cable might have packed in again but, by now, all suppliers had shut down for the weekend (remember this is Shetland).

Things got worse. I knocked over one of the set of mugs which I had received as a present from my parents about twenty years ago, and which, up to now, were still intact, without even a chip on them. The handle broke off, and I had no choice but to bin it.

Later, I decided to have a snack of the beetroot which my sister Mary had grown in the Whiteness garden, and which she had vinegar-pickled in a jar for me. Unfortunately I hadn't noticed that the lid was loose, and I ended up with magenta vinegar over everything on my worktop, my floor and my jeans. I started to lose my presence of mind. I was walking in figure-of-eight shapes around my kitchen and living room, with my eyes bulging and my mouth trying to form words which hadn't yet found substance in my brain. I stared at my magenta hands, doing a fairly decent impression of Lady Macbeth. I sat down. I stood up again. I sat down again. I sat up. I stood down. I scratched my head, causing beetroot streaks in my hair.

I don't know how long it was before I regained enough composure to start cleaning up the mess. By the time I'd finished, about the only reasonable thing to do was go to bed. So I did.

Saturday dawned with an apricot sky, portending a storm. Fishing boats were scurrying for the shelter of Lerwick harbour. I decided the best thing to do about my own particular depression was phone my friend and computer expert Richard Jackson, who came round the next day and, after conducting a few preliminary tests, informed me that my ISP had withdrawn my connection - without prior warning. I should, of course, have foreseen something like this happening, as the company had been in trouble for some time. Richard fixed me up with a temporary dial-up arrangement, which is painfully slow, but it will do for email and checks on my website. So, now I'm looking for another ISP - any ideas, folks? I've more or less decided on one of the BT deals - keep it simple, eh? I'm a simple man, after all.

No comments: